Extreme Vertical is the high jump for dogs. The bumper hangs 8’ away from the dock and can be anywhere from 5’ and above the top of the dock in two inch increments. The dog is given the option to use 20’ of the dock to run, jump, and either grab or knock down the bumper. They pick their starting height and jump until they have two misses. The
score for the event is their highest successful grab. If you have a successful grab at the event, you receive at least a
This article will give you more information on Extreme Vertical (EV) :
Here is a quick overview of “Extreme Vertical” rules and regulations, a full set can be found at www.dockdogs.com
• Teams must select their start height during the Judge’s Briefing prior to the start of the event.
• Competition Start Height and practice jumps will begin at a minimum of 4’6” for nontitled teams and Cadet titled teams. All nontitled and Cadet Teams must attempt 6’0” if still in the competition.
• Competition Start Height and practice jumps will begin at a minimum of 5’6” for Top Gun titled teams. A Top Gun titled team can attempt jumps at TWO heights below 6’0”; the next height must be at 6’0” or higher.
• Competition Start Height and practice jumps will begin at a minimum of 6’6” for High Flyer titled teams. A High Flyer titled team can attempt jumps at TWO heights below 7’0”; the next height must be at 7’0” or higher.
• There will be a 60 second time limit per attempt in all rounds.
• Two total misses, regardless of the height at which such failures occur, disqualifies the Team from further jumping (except during tie breaking rounds).
• Competition ends once all teams have acquired two total misses. In the case of one remaining team still jumping, that team is permitted to continue jumping until it has two total misses and they are permitted to pass to a higher height (falling within the 2” increment rule).
• Passing is available until there are 3 teams or less.
Divisions / Titles
Jump Height Range
Up to 5'11"
6'0" to 6’11”
7’0” and above
Short video of Cali (Handler: Frank Moraff) at an EV Practice